As a married but childless woman, Aicha finds herself in a situation that is totally “out of the ordinary” in her country, Niger, where women are expected to have children. But just like everywhere else in the world today, Niger also experiences problems with infertility.
Based on her personal story, Aicha Macki explores the private suffering of women in her situation with great sensitivity. Speaking openly as a childless woman among mothers, she breaks a taboo in Nigerien society...
Her own mother died in childbirth. Aicha often thinks of her and addresses her silent questions to her mother as she tries to understand her own situation and that of women in general in her country.
Click here to read an article on the occasion of the film's African Movie Academy Award.
Festivals and Awards:
* 2017: Binga d'Or at the Mis Me Binga Festival (Intl women's festival), Yaoundé, Cameroon (25 June)
* 2017: Received an "ETOILE DE LA SCAM" on the occasion of Sunny Side of the Doc (2017)
* 2017: Nominated to represent Niger at "Les Trophées Francophones du Cinéma" (award ceremony early Dec. 2017)
* 2017: Prix du Public & Prix Jury Jeune, 16th «Cinémas d'Afrique» festival (16 - 21 May, Angers, France)
* 2017: "Best African Documentary " - Mashariki African Film Festival "My story, My passion, My Journey" (Kigali-Rwanda)
* 2017: selected for its North American première at Hot Docs Festival, Toronto, in the “World Showcase” programme. (April 27 - May 7).
* 2017: official competition, 32nd "Dok Fest München", 3 to 14 May 2017 (Germany)
* 2017: Selected at the 16th «Cinémas d'Afrique» festival, 16 to 21 May (Angers, France)
* 2017: official selection: 25th edition of FESPACO, the panafrican Cinema & TV Festival of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso), 25 Feb to 04 March
* 2016: Aux Ecrans du Réel, Le Mans (france) - Jury Prize & Audience Award
* 2016: Les escales documentaires de Libreville (Gabon) - Mention spéciale Grand Prix Charles Mensah
* 2016: Lumières d'Afrique, Besançon (France) - Mention spéciale du Jury
* 2016: Jury Prize & Audience Award at the Premier Doc ChrOma Festival (Le Mans, December)
* 2016: Premier Prix, documentary, Festival arabo-africain de Zagora (8-12 nov., Maroc)
* 2016: "FIRST FILM Prize" and "FLEURY DOC.Prize" at the 35th International Jean Rouch Festival (ethnographic films), 4 Nov. -6 Dec., Musée de l'Homme, Paris.
* 2016: Best Documentary (Medium length Doc category) at the First "Golden Tree Intl. Documentary Film Festival", 16-18 Oct., Frankfurt (Germany)
* 2016: "Best Documentary" Festival international du film de femme de Salé (Women's film festival), Morocco (23 Sept.- 3 Oct.)
* 2016: "Best Documentary" at the FESTICAB (Cinema & audiovisual Festival) Burundi, 17- 24 June
* 2016: "Best Documentary", awarded by The African Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) during the 12th edition of the annual movie awards on 11 June at Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
* 2017: official selection "Views of the World Film & Music Festival, 20- 25 Sept. 2017, Montreal, Canada.
* 2016: official selection "Concours 1er Doc Chroma" (2 - 4 Dec.16), Le Mans (France)
2016: selected for the 11th Festival of African cinema (18 - 21 August, Lausanne, Switzerland)
2016: selected for the 28th edition of the "Etats généraux du film documentaire" (21 - 27 August, Lussas, France)